A rough guide to Hallam Libraries
What are the only parts of SHU open all day, every day, for you to study (and yes that includes Christmas Day)?
The Hallam Libraries!
Aren't the libraries just full of books?
Well it's true, we've got lots of books, but we also have…
- Group, quiet and silent work spaces
- PCs and rooms that you can book in advance
- Laptops and equipment
- 24 hour Library and IT support
- Extensive online resources via Library Gateway
- Access to Assertive Technology Resources
Here are some of our most frequently asked questions and the answers - to help you get the most out of our services.
1 – How can I find a free PC?
- Use the ‘Find a free PC’ link on MyHallam.
- Use MyPC (the booking system) on MyHallame, to book yourself a PC.
- Download the SHUgo app and use MyPC and MyHallam on your devices, on the go.
- Borrow a laptop - we’ve got some for use in the library and some you can take home overnight – there's more info on MyHallam.
- If you need specialist software you can start by locating the software you need to use on the software list, then book the PC's with your required programs in advance through MyPC.
2 – How do I find the book I need?
- Search for it on the Library Gateway here are some tips...
- If a book you need is out on loan – you can request it - here’s how.
- Check to see if we have an e-book version – ‘refine’ your results to ‘Books/eBooks’ on Library Search (not all titles are available as an e-book).
- The subject guides on the Library Gateway are full of hints and tips to help you find the best resources.
- If we don’t have what you need in libraries we may be able to get it from another library for you – here’s how...
- If you think there’s a book for your course that the library could really do with – suggest it to your tutor or online here via the Library Gateway ‘contact’ page (the link is in the bottom right of the page)
3 – How long can I keep a book for?
- Books are loanable for one week at a time but you can keep them for up to a year or when your course finishes, whichever is soonest, unless someone requests it. Find out more about borrowing here.
- Regularly check 'My Library Account' and your SHU emails.
4 – Where can I get help!
"I can’t access a journal, I’m not sure how to reference a website, how do you 'cite', I’m stuck with my ‘table of contents’"…
- Visit a Library Helpdesk, email us at email@example.com, or call 0114 2253333, option 3.
- Chat online to us 24/7 - from home, work, on placement, upstairs in the library. Use the ‘Chat’ link on the Library Gateway (in top right corner).
- There's also a lot of self-help material on the Resources page of the Bridge Academic Skills website, take a look here.
We love to hear from our students!
If you have any thoughts, comments or ideas about SHU Libraries please let us know - you can contact us here.
- Read Next
- Browzer Tips - Laptop Lockers You asked. We listened. Book a classroom now! Browzer Tips - Laptop work spaces around SHU Browzer Tips - How to book a PC & rooms in SHU libraries Introducing the new SHU Cycle Hub Browzer Tips - How to Design for print The Print Shop at Hallam Access Your Course Schedule Now! The Big Read at Sheffield Hallam
- SHU Jobs: Student Accommodation Assistant Arrivals Weekend: Keys & Car Parking The essentials for your first food shop! All the uni supplies you NEED Sheffield Freshers' Nights Out