02 /Go Green !
Sheffield Hallam is an award winning sustainable university.
We are committed to reducing our environmental impact across all activities.
Visit our website for information on all our activities or find out how you can help in key areas below;
Energy and Water
- Remember to switch off your lights and appliances when they are not in use. This will save you money on your bills, especially private accommodation.
- Switching off taps when they are not in use and reporting any leaks will reduce water wastage.
- The university has an ambitious carbon reduction target of 30% per m2 by 2020. Find out how we plan to meet this and how you can help here.
- Bus services offer £1 single fare for students, making it cheap and easy to get between campuses and across the city.
- The train station is less than 5 minutes from the university with links to local train and tram services.
- A rail ticket collection machine is located opposite Peak Lecture Theatre to save you from the long queues in the station.
- Live train and bus times are displayed at Charles Street, STEM (Eric Mensforth) and Collegiate hall.
- Cycle parking facilities are available at all our sites with safe routes identified between our City and Collegiate campuses
- Find out about Sustainable Travel here.
Waste and Recycling
- Check with your accommodation services or your landlord for the waste and recycling services available in your building.
- Reducing food waste can be minimised by making a shopping list and only buying food you need. This will save you money and a smelly bin!
- Recycling bins are available throughout the estate. When on campus you can recycle the following items;
- Paper (except cups)
- Plastic bottles
- Tins and cans
- Sheffield Hallam is a zero waste to landfill university, all material that cannot be recycled (see above) is incinerated to create heat energy. For information on waste recycling at the university click here.
For more information about sustainability at Sheffield Hallam, contact the sustainability team;