Starting a New Society
QMU already has 40 sports and societies running but if there's one missing and you are keen to get it started then go for it!
Are you a master of circus skills or passionate about sign language? Whatever it is, if you can find others interested at QMU, then its worth trying to set it up.
Here are 5 simple steps to make that society dream a society reality:
- Find 9 people that agree: If you can form a team of 10 students all keen to start the sport or society then you are off to a flying start.
- Complete a QMUSU committee/membership form. You can find it HERE
- Complete a sports and societies funding form. You can find it HERE
- Send off both forms to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Vice-president will check your application and arrange a meeting
If you are struggling to find those fellow 9 members how about popping up some posters, reaching out to course mates or even put a request through Moderator to gauge interest?
Once your sport or society is created there are a few steps to get it up and running
- Elect a committee. There should be a minimum of three committee members-President, Vice and Treasurer.
- Raise funds to cover the cost of all activities. This can be done through membership fees, fundraising or sponsorship's
- Produce a Development Plan. This is a list of 'to dos' and can help keep the society on track and achieving its goals.
- Promote your Society. Make sure other members of QMU know about your new society. Setting up a social media page is a good way to engage with current members and find new ones.
For advice on all of the above click HERE for the Sports and Societies Guide 2019/20
Check out our existing societies to see if there is one for you: Sports and Societies
- Read Next
- Apply for SHIFT 2020 now Prize draw winners Support available to you QMU - Helping the Community What you should watch based on your subject area... Library Account Book Challenge Support at QMU Lockdown Stories.....Jamie QMUPodcast
- Upright bike Tyler's Blog: Make yourself visible: Create an ePortfolio Single Arm Row Maja's Blog: Asexuality Meet the Catering Team...Alan Scott, our new Sous Chef Self-Service password reset available now Way 2 Pay - Your QMU best friend The ResLife Team Assisted Chin Up 10 Uses For Coffee Grounds