International Students: Welcome to QMU!
Congratulations! You have accepted your place at Queen Margaret University and we look forward to your arrival.
We understand it can be overwhelming moving to a new country or city, and we are here to help. If you need any information from travelling to QMU to meeting other International students, and any activities going on around campus - the QMU International Page on the QMU website tells you everything you need to know.
We operate drop-in surgery hours during term time;
Monday afternoons (2.00pm - 5.00pm)
Thursday mornings (10.00am - 12.00noon)
In case of any changes, you can check with the Registry Information Point on Level 1 of the Academic Building.
The International Office organise a number of social events for international students throughout the year. These are usually held in conjunction with the Student’s Union and include a familiarisation tour of Edinburgh, a Christmas lunch and other activities throughout the year. Follow our Facebook Page to keep up to date with all the latest events.
We also encourage international students to volunteer, as a way of getting to know the local language, community and culture. If you would like more information about any of these things, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To break the ice and help you settle in, QMU has added a few events to your calendar so make sure to note these down!
All International Students entering on a Student Visa MUST ARRIVE IN TIME to attend the International Students Induction event, this is usually held in the first week of September. Please be prepared to arrive at QMU from 9.30am on the day of Induction in order to register your attendance. Failure to do so may result in delaying your matriculation and affect your student visa.
The induction will include:
- An introduction to the university and the campus
- Guidance and support on matriculation (including issues relating to Student Visas and monitoring of attendance)
- Insight into Student Support Services at QMU including careers, counselling, disability, finance, welfare and via support
- Introduction to student clubs, societies, and volunteering opportunities
- Receive your welcome pack with useful information and special offers
For more information and everything you need to know, please read the International Student Pre Arrival Handbook September 2019.
Keep an eye on Browzer throughout the year to stay in touch with campus updates, local information in Edinburgh and all things QMU!
- Read Next
- What's Browzer? Useful QMU contacts Your personal guide to Edinburgh Do you want to work as a student ambassador? What is QMU's new student support system? Student Shopping Guide to Musselburgh Cycle Connections Bike Hire Scheme RISE QMU Did you know?......OneDrive For Students Cycling Facilities at QMU Collect your parcels on campus with Amazon lockers Your Student Card - Access all areas Wellbeing Service at QMU Juuso's Blog: SIM plan tips and recommendations Robert's Blog: Best bars in Edinburgh
- Just Eat Bikes at QMU Your Freshers 2019 Guide ALL the information you need for moving into QMU halls this September Self-Service password reset available now Accommodation - Helpful Information