How to make the most of your CV
Whether you’re looking for a Saturday job or graduation is approaching, chances are we all have to write a/many CV(s) at some point.
It can seem daunting, and even a bit embarrassing selling yourself in the best light, but supports out there and a few tweaks can really help your CV stand out and help you land that interview.
- Visit Student Central for careers advice or to book an appointment with an adviser
They also offer weekly Career & Employability drop-ins at the Employability Centre (Level 1, along the red corridor). You can pop in anytime during these hours:
Monday: 13:15 - 16:30
Wednesday: 11:00 - 12:30 and 15:00 - 16:30
Friday: 09:30 - 12:30 and 13:30 - 16:30
CV Top Tips
- 2 page max! Employers will spend on average 8 seconds looking at a CV. Keep it concise.
- Up-to-date. It's great that you had a newspaper round at school but if it doesn't relate to the job leave it out. At the same time, remember to add in recent achievements and courses you just completed.
- Aesthetics. You wan't to stand out from the crowd. Avoid blocky text. Bullet points and headers can help highlight your main point.
- Evidence. Back up your claims. If you are a great communicator tell them about the time you presented to a large group or lead a team project.
- Personalise it. Taking a bit of time to tailor your CV to each employer can really make the difference. If the employer has great environmental credentials, include your volunteer work with an environmental charity (only if you have it! Fibs have an embarrassing way of surfacing).
- Read Next
- Apply for SHIFT 2020 now Prize draw winners Support available to you QMU - Helping the Community What you should watch based on your subject area... Library Account Book Challenge Support at QMU Lockdown Stories.....Jamie QMUPodcast
- Upright bike Tyler's Blog: Make yourself visible: Create an ePortfolio Single Arm Row Maja's Blog: Asexuality Meet the Catering Team...Alan Scott, our new Sous Chef Self-Service password reset available now Way 2 Pay - Your QMU best friend The ResLife Team Assisted Chin Up 10 Uses For Coffee Grounds